Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Utility of a Coach's Input, Part Two

This summer, while I was working on my grind baseline shots, I began struggling with other issues on my backhand. I was feeling uncoordinated in my mechanics and was struggling to get my usual power.

Enter Scott Smith, a local tennis pro. Scott is a high-energy instructor, who coaches out of the Franklin Athletic Club in Southfield, Michigan, and also works summers at the Heat Tennis Academy in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. I've known Scott for several years from our crossing paths at local courts in the summer season, and my participation in his practice-with-a-pro sessions at Franklin during the indoor season.
Scott Smith, tennis pro.
He watched me hit against the ball machine, and reminded me of a few basic points, which had gotten lost in my emphasis to make grind shots habitual:
  • Meet the ball early out in front -- even on two-handed backhands
  • Maintain the kinetic chain: Ground, legs, hips, shoulders, arm, wrist
I hadn't realized that in my focus to hit more reliable grind shots as part of my playing strategy, I had lost the habit of using these essential fundamentals. When I focused on re-integrating these fundamental mechanics into my groundstrokes as part of my grind-shot groundstroke option, all of a sudden everything seemed to come together.

These experiences remind me that, even though one may know the proper technique for any give shot, it is sometimes necessary to have an informed, objective observer do some analysis. It has certainly been helpful to me.

Have fun. Be healthy. Play tennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment